Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Whisker Review –Andre, Maya, Gaby

A few things to note about the transition from v2 – v3 of this project.

      1.  I find that the removal of the kitten mask makes the piece a lot more complex, an juicy to grapple with.  Whereas in v2 the objective was to make it more personable, I believe that the non-representational version allows the mind to run wild a bit more readily.  I feel less locked into a particular way of looking at the piece.


2.  In v3, you have gone back to trying to use the motor to create movement and thus sound.  This is a definite step forward in my mind.   Adding not only motion, but sound as key elements in the piece makes it feel robust and full, where the kitty cat mask v2 felt a little flat and pandering to the cuteness of kittens.

3.   I’m not sure what the alligator clip to the spring is doing.  Hard to tell from the documentation.


------------------

Self Evaluation


In my whisker v3 I am keeping with the rotational theme of my whisker.  Something which was said about this iteration as well as my other whisker iterations is that they seemed to be creature-like.  This got me to thinking about what the point of having a creature that simply shows it’s rotation with markers  would be – none!  So I set about creating an environment for the piece to exist in, in which it’s rotation does serve a purpose; looming over other creatures and scaring the bajeezus out of them.  The piece now uses it’s rotation as a mechanism to strike fear into cubes.  It uses the old drawing utencil holder as wire guides for its power source  Inside each cube is a motor, and when the creature towers over a cube, it shakes in fear.  I really feel like the piece has come to life since I’ve added this dynamic to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment